Being the victim of a crime in a foreign country can be a devastating and traumatic experience. While no one can undo the emotional trauma, physical injury, or financial loss you may have experienced, the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi or the Dubai is ready to help. We are very concerned about violent crimes committed against U.S. citizens in the UAE. We will assist you in managing the practical consequences of being a crime victim and provide you with information about accessing the local criminal justice system, as well as other resources for crime victims abroad and the United States. We can assist you to find appropriate medical care, contact family or friends on your behalf, and explain how funds can be transferred. We can also help you to better understand the criminal justice system in the UAE.
What We Cannot Do:
- Provide legal advice or represent you in court;
- Pay legal fees or other expenses for you;
- Request preferential treatment for U.S. citizens during legal proceedings in the UAE.
If you are the victim of a crime overseas:
- Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate:
- Consular officers are available for emergency assistance 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
- Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas can be found here or by going to our individual Country Specific Information pages.
- To contact the Department of State in the U.S. call 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or (202) 501-4444 (from overseas).
- Contact the local police to report the incident and get immediate help. Request a copy of the police report.