Effective March 14, 2021, U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi and U.S. Consulate General Dubai began offering a drop-box option for adult applicants seeking to renew their passports. This service is in addition to the mail-in passport renewal service the Embassy currently offers for adults.
The drop-box is conveniently located inside the Embassy and the Consulate General. Applicants may drop off their passport applications at the Embassy or Consulate General on Sun-Thurs between 8:00 am- 3:30 pm (except on UAE or US holidays). No appointment is necessary. The application processing time is approximately 3-4 weeks.
Eligibility for Passport Renewal by Embassy or Consulate General Drop-Box
You may renew your passport by utilizing the drop-box service if all of the following requirements apply:
- Your passport is not damaged and was issued within the last 15 years;
- You were at least 16 years old when your most recent passport was issued;
- The passport you are renewing was valid for a 10-year period; and
- The passport was issued in your current name. (If you have changed your name since your most recent passport was issued, you must submit legal documentation of your name change)
If you are not eligible, your application may require your personal appearance. Information on scheduling an appointment can be found here.
Effective April 1, 2021, the Consular Section will use the U.S. Dollar to UAE Dirham exchange rate of $1 USD to 3.70 Emirati Dirhams (formerly $1 USD to 3.69 AED).
Step-by-Step Guide – Adult Passport Renewal by Drop-Box
- Confirm that you meet all the eligibility criteria listed above.
- Complete form DS-82 – available online here.
- If you have been issued a social security number (SSN) you MUST provide it on your application for a U.S. passport. If the name on your social security record does not match the name on your passport application, please complete question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used.’
- If you have not been issued a SSN, you must complete and sign this formand include it in your application.
- If you are a resident of the UAE and have been issued a SSN, but have misplaced it or do not recall if you have been issued one, contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Romefor assistance.
- Disregard the pre-printed instructions on the online forms – the application can be submitted to the Embassy or Consulate for processing.
- Attach one passport photograph to the application. The photograph must be 2 x 2 inches, taken in the last six months, and conform with the requirements outlined here.
- Print and sign the application form.
- Submit your most recent original passport with the application.
- Also, attach one photocopy of the biographic page of your most recent U.S. passport and place the form inside your most recent original U.S. passport.
- Obtain a $110 USD (407 AED) non-refundable application fee via Bank Manager’s check or “Cashier’s Check” in AED currency. *If requesting both a passport card and book, please include payment for $140 USD (518 AED).
- You must have a local UAE bank account in order to obtain a Bank Manager’s check or Cashier’s Check.
- Make checks payable to: “United States Disbursing Officer”
- We cannot accept cash, credit cards, or personal checks. We must receive a Bank Manager’s check or Cashier’s check in AED.
- Do not write anything on the face of the bank check (e.g.: name of the applicant)
- Please do not include fees other than those stated on this page. There is no expedited service when processing applications outside the United States.
- (If applicable) If you have changed your name since your initial application, include evidence of Change of Name to your application, including, but not limited to: Marriage Certificate, Change of Name Deed, Statutory Declaration or a Court Order (name change must have taken place after your passport was issued)
- Print and complete this checklist (PDF 173 KB) to confirm your application package is complete. Include the checklist in your application.
- Place the required items in an unsealed envelope.
Instructions for dropping off adult passport renewals
After completing the above steps, you may drop off your passport at the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi or U.S. Consulate General in Dubai on Sun-Thurs between 8:00 am-3:30 pm (except on UAE or US holidays). Applicants will receive an email when the passport is ready for collection at the Embassy or Consulate.
Security will screen the unsealed envelope and return it to you to seal and drop-off into the drop-box.
The Embassy and Consulate General continue to offer Passport Renewal by Emirates Post’s Courier Collection Services. Please click here for more information.