All children under age 16 receive 5-year validity minor passports. Children under age 16 must appear in person and have both parents consent to be issued a US passport. For information on children age 16 and 17, please see adult passport instructions. To apply for a child’s passport, please make an appointment on our online appointment system for our Embassy in Abu Dhabi OR our Consulate General in Dubai and bring in the following on the scheduled day: (all documents must be original + copy)
- Your child’s most recent U.S. passport;
- One U.S. passport sized (2x2inch) photograph– see photo requirements for information or check our Slideshare presentation . Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected; UAE sized photos will not be accepted;
- If your child was under 5 at the time their last passport was issued, present 1-2 photographs per year from when that passport was issued to present, to show how their appearance has changed (family or informal photographs are acceptable);
- Your child’s U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, showing the parent’s name(s);
- Government issued photo I.D of parents(such as U.S or foreign passport, driving license or military I.D);
- The non-refundable application feefor a U.S passport under 16 is $105.00 or equivalent in UAE dirhams. You will pay the fee in person to the cashier at the time you appear at the Embassy. Fee information is available here; and
- Form DS-11.
- Before you begin, see our YouTube video for instructions on completing the form. Complete the form online and print. Do not sign it. You are required to sign the form before a consular officer.
The presence of the child is required together with both parents. If one parent is unable to attend, please provide a notarized Statement of Consent from the parent. If one parent has sole custody, that parent must show a legally binding court document granting sole custody. If one parent is deceased, please provide an original certificate of death.)