All children under age 16 receive 5-year validity minor passports. Children under age 16 must appear in person and have both parents consent to be issued a US passport. For information on children age 16 and above, please see adult passport instructions. To apply for a child’s passport, please make an appointment on our online appointment system for our Embassy in Abu Dhabi OR our Consulate General in Dubai and bring in the following on the scheduled day: (all documents must be original + copy)
- Your child’s most recent U.S. passport + 1 copy;
- One U.S. passport sized (2x2inch) photograph– see photo requirements for information or check our Slideshare presentation . Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected; UAE sized photos will not be accepted;
- Your child’s U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, showing the parent’s name(s) + 1 copy;
- Government issued photo I.D of parents(such as U.S or foreign passport, driving license or military I.D) + 1 copy;
- The non-refundable application fee for a U.S passport under 16 is $115 or equivalent in UAE dirhams. You will pay the fee in person to the cashier at the time you appear at the Embassy; and
- Form DS-11.
The passport execution fee increased from $25 to $35. The $10 execution fee increase applies to U.S. passport applicants using the DS-11 form including: first-time applicants over age 16, children under age 16, and applicants who reapply after reporting their previous passport lost or stolen.
Customers applying with the DS-11 form at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad pay two separate fees: an application fee to the U.S. Department of State and the execution fee to the Passport Acceptance Facility (such as a post office in the United States or a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad). Accordingly, the total passport fee for such applicants will increase by $10 in total.
The $10 fee increase does not apply to adults eligible to renew their passport using the DS-82 form. The Department of State published a Final Rule confirming this fee change on January 31, 2018.
- Before you begin, see our YouTube video for instructions on completing the form. Complete the form online and print. Do not sign it. You are required to sign the form before a consular officer.
The presence of the child is required together with both parents. If one parent is unable to attend, please provide a notarized Statement of Consent (DS-3053) from the parent. If one parent has sole custody, that parent must show a legally binding court document granting sole custody. If one parent is deceased, please provide an original certificate of death plus 1 copy.)
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER is mandatory to complete your passport application
All passport renewal applications require asocial security number (SSN). If you lost your SSN, please apply for a replacement SSN card at the US Embassy in Rome, Italy (https://ae.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/). The U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi cannot obtain the number on your behalf.
If you never had or received a SSN, please sign and submit the below affidavit that you never had a SSN with your passport renewal application:
If you applied previously for a social security number and never received it or it was lost in mail, please sign and submit the affidavit stating you were never issued a SSN.