First Time Passports

Applicants must personally appear at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for all passport services. We highly recommend that you follow the links below to fill out the required forms online and print them before coming into the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. To apply for a passport, please make an appointment on our online appointment system for our Embassy in Abu Dhabi OR our Consulate General in Dubai and bring the required documents listed below to your appointment. The Embassy and Consulate request that applicants present original documents along with accompanying photocopies of all the original documents when submitting their application.

If you are applying for a passport for a child under age 16, both parents and the child must be present unless one parent presents an original court order for sole custody, a death certificate for the other parent, or a notarized Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances (DS-3053) from the absent parent.

For babies born in UAE, please see Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for requirements and fees.

Requirements for first time applicants:

  • Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable):
    • U.S. birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
    • Naturalization certificate or Certificate of Citizenship
    • Proof that both parents are U.S. citizens or that one U.S. citizen parent lived in the U.S. for the required period)
    • A photocopy of the front and back of each ID document that you will present when you apply.
  • Proof of identity (photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable):
    • Other passport, if any
    • Naturalization certificate
    • Valid driver’s license
    • Current government ID (city, state, or federal)
    • Current military ID (military and dependents)
  • Supporting identification documents (photos, school transcripts, etc.)
  • Other passport, if any
  • DS-11 passport form (fill out online and print) Please note:You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a signed declaration of no Social Security Number for Adults or Minors.”For more information, please see Frequently Asked Questions.
  • If applicant is under 16, both parents and the child must be present unless one parent presents an original court order for sole custody, a death certificate for the other parent, or a notarized  Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances (DS-3053) from the absent parent
  • passport photo – *Eye glasses are no longer allowed in passport photos.
  • Fees: 424 AED (if under age 16), 534 AED (if age 16+), payable in cash or by credit card. Some of the credit/debit cards are not accepted by the system.

The passport execution fee increased from $25 to $35.  The $10 execution fee increase applies to U.S. passport applicants using the DS-11 form including: first-time applicants over age 16, children under age 16, and applicants who reapply after reporting their previous passport lost or stolen. 

Customers applying with the DS-11 form at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad pay two separate fees: an application fee to the U.S. Department of State and the execution fee to the Passport Acceptance Facility (such as a post office in the United States or a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad).  Accordingly, the total passport fee for such applicants will increase by $10 in total.

The $10 fee increase does not apply to adults eligible to renew their passport using the DS-82 form. The Department of State published a Final Rule confirming this fee change on January 31, 2018.

For questions, please contact us at or


SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER is mandatory to complete your passport application

All passport renewal applications require asocial security number (SSN). If you lost your SSN, please apply for a replacement SSN card at the US Embassy in Rome, Italy (  The U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi cannot obtain the number on your behalf.

If you never had or received a SSN, please sign and submit the below affidavit that you never had a SSN with your passport renewal application:

If you applied previously for a social security number and never received it or it was lost in mail, please sign and submit the affidavit stating you were never issued a SSN.