Both parents and the child must be physically present at the embassy for first-time passport applicants under the age of 16. If one parent cannot be present, the other parent must appear and present an original court order for sole custody of the minor applicant, a death certificate for the absent parent, or a notarized Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances (DS-3053) from the absent parent.
Parents of first-time passport applicants often wish to concurrently apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for their child. For more information on CRBA requirements and fees, please see Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA).
Please bring the following to your appointment. Note that failure to appear with ALL required documentation listed below will render us unable to serve you; you will need to schedule a new appointment at a later date:
- Filled out passport application (Form DS-11). Do not sign the form.
- Proof of applicant’s US citizenship (if available) such as the following:
- US birth certificate with 1 photocopy.
- CRBA with 1 photocopy of the CRBA.
- Naturalization certificate or Certificate of Citizenship with 1 photocopy.
- UAE birth certificate (if proof of US citizenship is unavailable), showing the parents’ names, and 1 photocopy of the document.
- Proof of each U.S. citizen parents’ physical presence in the United States. See CRBA page for further information.
- Recent 2×2 photographs of the applicant. Click here for criteria of an acceptable photo. Incorrect photos will not be accepted.
- Government-issued photo I.D. of each parent (i.e. US or foreign passport, drivers license, military I.D., etc.) and 1 photocopy of each form of I.D.
- Form of payment (cash, debit card, credit card)
- Marriage certificate of applicant’s parents and 1 photocopy.
- Any divorce or death certificates from applicant’s parents’ prior marriages, and 1 photocopy.
- If the applicant is more than a year old, complete hospital records from prenatal to discharge, along with ultrasound reports.
Fees: The fee for first-time passport applicants under age 16 is US $115 or the equivalent in dirhams, payable in cash or by credit card. Some credit/debit cards are not accepted by the system.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
Applicants must have and provide a Social Security Number (SSN) to complete the passport application. If you lost your SSN, please apply for a replacement SSN card via the US Embassy in Rome, Italy (https://ae.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/). The U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi cannot obtain the number on your behalf.
If you never had or received a SSN, please sign and submit with your passport application the below affidavit, which attests that you never had a SSN.
If you have previously applied for a social security number and never received it or it was lost in the mail, please sign and submit the affidavit stating you were never issued a SSN.