Individuals 16 years old and over receive 10-year validity adult passports. To apply for a passport, please make an appointment with our Embassy in Abu Dhabi OR our Consulate General in Dubai and bring in the following on the scheduled day:
- Passport Application Form DS-82. If your last, full validity passport was issued after you turned 16 and you have it in your possession. Completed the form in full (list your local physical address for the mailing address although the passport will not be mailed) and sign it.Online DS-82 form to complete online and print.
- If your last passport was issued before you turned 16, or your passport has been damaged, you must complete the online DS-11 form instead.
- If your passport has been lost or stolen, please go to lost or stolen passport Abu Dhabi page or Dubai page
- One photograph (Photo must be 2 inches by 2 inches SQUARE, recent, with NO GLASSES and with white background as outlined here (PDF 45 KB). Passport application with the incorrect photo will not be accepted.
- Your current passport and 1 photocopy of the biographic page(s) and any amendments.
- The fee for an adult renewal passport is US $110 (DS-82) or the equivalent in UAE dirhams. This is payable in US dollars, dirhams, cash or by credit card. Some of the credit/debit cards are not accepted by the system. For a DS-11, an execution fee of US $35 will also be charged.
- 16 and 17 year-old passport applicants are required to bring their original birth certificates and 1 photocopy. If you do not bring your original birth certificate, you will have to make a second trip to the embassy to complete your application. A parent should accompany the applicant to their appointment.
The U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi accepts applications by mail for 10-year adult passports renewals only. Click HERE for more information.
The new e-passport is printed in the U.S. and requires about 10 working days to process. You may keep your current passport and have it cancelled when you collect your new passport from the Embassy (we will not cancel the UAE residence visa).
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER is mandatory to complete your passport application
All passport renewal applications require asocial security number (SSN). If you lost your SSN, please apply for a replacement SSN card at the US Embassy in Rome, Italy (https://ae.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/). The U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi cannot obtain the number on your behalf.
If you never had or received a SSN, please sign and submit the below affidavit that you never had a SSN with your passport renewal application:
If you applied previously for a social security number and never received it or it was lost in mail, please sign and submit the affidavit stating you were never issued a SSN.