Frequently Asked Questions II

The U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi does not provide letters of no objection, including but not limited to no objection to sponsor a family member’s UAE residence visa and no objection to U.S. citizens traveling to other countries.

Immigrant visa petitions must be filed through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Please see their website for more information.

Additional information regarding immigrant visas may be found on the U.S. Department of State’s website.

The American Citizen Services unit does not provide immigrant or non-immigrant visa services or information. For U.S. immigrant visa or green card questions, please visit the Immigrant Visa Unit’s website. For U.S. non-immigrant visa questions, please visit the Non-immigrant Visa Unit’s website.

You must obtain these kinds of documents from the issuing authority. You should contact the vital records department in the U.S. state in which your document (birth, marriage, divorce, or death certificate) was issued to obtain a certified copy of these documents. You may find a list of all the U.S. states’ Vital Records departments at:

  • Single and Free to Marry Affidavit  

You may sign an affidavit in front of a notary indicating that you are “single and free to marry”. The service is considered a notary service – please see our notary web page for fees and to make an appointment for notary services.

Please be sure to bring your U.S. passport for the single and free to marry affidavit.

  • Marriage In the Emirate of Abu Dhabi 

Official guidance regarding marriage by expatriates can be found on the Abu Dhabi government website.   UAE laws and regulations are subject to change, please verify any information before acting upon it.

  • Marriage In the Emirate of Dubai

You may find information regarding getting married in Dubai through the U.S. Consulate in Dubai’s website.

The U.S. Embassy receives social security card applications on behalf of the Social Security Adminsitration (SSA) and is not involved in the processing of the applications or generation of social security cards. Once an application is received, it is forwarded to the SSA for processing. We are unable to provide a response as to what has happened to social security card, however we recommend that if social security card applicants have not received their cards within 6-8 months, an applicant reapply again.

There is no cost to reapply.You may find the application for a social security card as well a list of necessary documents to include in your application on our website. If you still haven’t received the social security card after 8 months, you may also contact the Federal Benefits Unit in Jerusalem, where the closest SSA representatives are posted.

If you are traveling to the United States any time soon, perhaps you might consider applying from within the country, as social security cards are processed much faster there – usually within two weeks. Locations at which you may apply from within the United States as well as additional information about this process may be found directly on the Social Security Adminsitration’s website.

Before contacting the Embassy, please review the Social Security Administration’s website for information on how to apply for benefits online, in most cases you can apply for benefits from the comfort of your home. Should you have any questions, or are directed to process your application through the Embassy, please contact us by e-mail for assistance. If you reside in the UAE outside the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, you should contact the U.S. Consulate General in Dubai.

Federal law requires that a U.S. passport applicant provide a social security number on the passport application if the applicant has one. Applicants who fail to provide a valid social security number are subject to a 500 USD penalty enforced by the IRS. Please visit our Federal Benefits Unit page for information on how to apply for a social security number.

To find information about applying for a job with the Embassy, please click here.

Please be advised that fingerprinting private citizens is not a public service that is offered at US Embassies abroad.
In every country there is a law enforcement authority that has the capability and expertise to do fingerprints.

You may have your fingerprints taken at the following address:

Ministry of Interior
Federal Police Department
Zayed Sport City, Arab Gulf Street, Near to Shaikh Zayed Mosque
Tel: +971-2-441-4666 or 971-2-402-3106

The following documents are required:

Original Passport and copy
UAE resident visa copy

Two photographs

A fee of 65 AED payable by credit card or 53 AED e-Dirham which can be purchased from Emirates Post or Immigration Authority, cash is not acceptable.

If authentication of the fingerprints is required, please visit

The Consular Section has historically made periodic visits to Al Ain to provide American Citizen Services. Future such visits will be announced through our State Department message system.

If you have enrolled with the State Department STEP Program, you should receive a message notifying you of the details of our next trip. All messages are also posted on our website.

The US Embassy is unable to respond to questions relating to UAE visa sponsorship. Those questions should be directed to the General Directorate of Residence and Foreigners Affairs, which is the proper authority for UAE residence visa issuance.

The U.S. Embassy does not generally get involved in civil legal proceedings. For labor disputes, you may also contact the Ministry of Labor to file a formal complaint against the employer. The Ministry can be reached at the following address:

Ministry of Labor

Dispute Section

Public Relations Office

Mazyd Mall

Musfah, Abu Dhabi

Telephone: +971-2-507-4404 or +971-2-507-4408

Toll-free 02-800-665

Fax: 971-2-266-8967


For more information, please review the Department of State’s website regard arrest and detention of an American citizen abroad and judicial assistance.

Deciding to renounce your citizenship is a very serious decision. We recommend that you first review the information on the Department of State’s website under Loss of Citizenship and Nationality before you take the first step. If you wish to proceed, please email us to schedule an appointment. Depending on the situation, you may be asked to come into the Embassy multiple times to complete the processing of your renounciation application. Please note that there is a charge of $450 USD for renounciations.