Citizenship Services


What Service Do You Require?

Citizenship and Immigrant visa information will be found HERE


Loss of US citizenship abroad

  • Overview

Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration.  It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.  If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take including arranging an appointment to come into the Embassy to sign the Statement of Understanding, the Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire  and/or the Oath of Renunciation, in the presence of a Consular Officer.  Please note that the Statement of Understanding clearly states that the action you are taking is irrevocable.

Remember that expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).


  • Important information on the loss of nationality process

Become familiar with legal requirements and possible expatriating acts before beginning this process. Pay particular attention to your right to request an informal initial appointment to discuss your possible loss of citizenship with a consular official over the phone or in-person prior to your final interview.  For questions related to expatriation tax and possible tax implications, please consult with the Internal Revenue Service.

  • Documents required

You should gather the following documents:

  1. Evidence of U.S. citizenship; (such as your most recent U.S. passport or U.S. birth certificate, if you are not in possession of your U.S. passport. If your passport is lost/stolen please fill out form DS-64 and submit it to the Embassy the day of interview.
  2. U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, if applicable;
  3. Copy of bio-pages of all current foreign passports;
  4. Certificates of Naturalization for any country, including the United States, if applicable;
  5. Certificates of Citizenship for any country, including the United States, if applicable;
  6. Evidence of any name changes, if applicable (for example marriage or divorce certificates, court orders or deed polls);
  7. Completed form DS-4079  (Request for determination of possible loss of US citizenship)
  8. Completed form DS-4080 (Oath/Affirmation of renunciation of nationality of United States)
  9. Completed form DS-4081 (Statement of understanding concerning the consequences and ramifications of renunciation or relinquishment of US nationality)
  10. Completed Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire – download the pdf form HERE
  11. Completed Informal Loss of Citizenship Acknowledgement. Download the pdf form HERE.
  12. Completed SS-5 form for social security to be able to amend your status with SSA once your loss of US citizenship requestapproved.

Please note that once you sign the oath of renunciation beforte a consular officer, the US Embassy will keep your US passport and certificate of citizenship/naturalization, if applicable, as part of the renunciation process.

  • Requesting an appointment

All of the above documents and forms (typed or clear-readable handwritten) must be scanned and sent to for scheduling an appointment with the consular officer at the Embassy to take the oath of renunciation.


  • Fees

You will be required to pay a non-refundable fee of $2,350 {or current fee according to schedule of fees in 22 CFR 22.1} or equivalent in UAE dirham in cash or by major credit card in the day of your interview for documentation of your request for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality. Please note that certain debit/credit cards may not function properly, so please plan accordingly.


Should you have any questions please send an e-mail to . Please note that if you do not understand any aspect of the loss of nationality requirements or process described above or you are unsure about whether you would like to continue with the expatriation process, you may speak telephonically or in-person with a consular mission member or consular officer at the embassy.  If you choose not to request a telephonic or in-person discussion, and decide to schedule an appointment to take the Oath of Renunciation, we will assume you fully understand the loss of nationality requirements and process described above and have chosen to proceed with the expatriation process.


Once your renunciation case is approved by the State Department, you will be contacted to come in person and collect your Certificate of Loss of Nationality (CLN)