Birth in Abu Dhabi (CRBA)

Reporting a Birth Abroad

For babies born in Dubai and the Northern Emirates, please see Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for Dubai specific requirements and fees.

The birth of a child in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi to US citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the US Embassy Consular Section for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child’s claim to US citizenship at birth.

Please follow the steps in the below document “Instructions for Registering a Child.” You should also download and fill out the other blank forms provided below. Once you have completed the forms and gathered other appropriate documents (see below section “Proof of US Citizen Parent’s Physical Presence in the US”), please send your appointment request to email and attach scans of your completed CRBA Application (DS-2029). We will then schedule your appointment and inform you of the date and time.

Instructions for Registering a Child

Minor Passport Application (DS-11)

Blank CRBA Application (DS-2029)

Affidavit of having no SSN for the child

Parents of CRBA applicants often wish to concurrently apply for a passport for their child.  For more information on first-time passport requirements and fees, please see First-time Passport Applications.

Please bring the following to your appointment. Note that failure to appear with ALL required documentation listed below will render us unable to serve you; you will need to schedule a new appointment at a later date:

  • Filled out CRBA application (Form DS-2029).  Do not sign the form.
  • UAE birth certificate, showing the parents’ names, and 1 photocopy of the document.
  • Proof of each US citizen parents’ physical presence in the United States.  See below section “Proof of US Citizen Parent’s Physical Presence in the US” for further information.
  • Recent 2×2 photographs of the applicant. Click here for criteria of an acceptable photo. Incorrect photos will not be accepted.
  • Government-issued photo I.D. of each parent (i.e. US or foreign passport, drivers license, military I.D., etc.) and 1 photocopy of each form of I.D.
  • Form of payment (cash, debit card, credit card)
  • Marriage certificate of applicant’s parents and 1 photocopy.
  • Any divorce or death certificates from applicant’s parents’ prior marriages, and 1 photocopy.

Parents of CRBA applicants MUST be present at the appointment. Both parents and the child must be physically present at the embassy for CRBA applicants. If one parent cannot be present, the other parent must appear and present an original court order for sole custody of the minor applicant, a death certificate for the absent parent, or a notarized Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances (DS-3053) from the absent parent.

Proof of US Citizen Parent’s Physical Presence in the US

Please note that each US citizen parent MUST bring to the appointment evidence sufficient to demonstrate the appropriate amount of physical presence in the US. “Physical presence” means time spent legally and physically residing inside the United States. Examples of appropriate proof of physical presence include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • School records
  • University transcripts
  • Tax returns
  • W-2s
  • Tax withholding statements
  • Social security statements
  • Pay stubs
  • Official letters of employment

Note that maintaining a residence in the United States (for example, owning property, voting, paying taxes) is not sufficient. The citizen parent must provide proof they were physically present inside the United States.

Further note that all periods of physical presence must have taken place prior to the birth of the child in order to count toward the amount of physical presence required to transmit US citizenship to the child.

Naturalized citizens may count as physical presence any time they spent in the United States or its outlying possessions both before and after being naturalized.

Please do not send us physical presence documents by email in advance of the appointment and ask us to pre-screen them for you. Only the officer who interviews you at the window may review your documents and determine whether they are sufficient.

Expeditious Naturalization

If the US citizen parent does not meet citizenship transmission requirements but the child has a US citizen grandparent who does have the requisite physical presence, the child may be eligible for Expeditious Naturalization under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. Through this procedure, a child under 18 years of age can become a US citizen via naturalization without having to take up residence in the United States beforehand. However, Expeditious Naturalization cannot be executed at the US Embassy; the child must travel to the United States and would require a Non-Immigrant (tourist) visa for this purpose.  An N600 application (and supporting documentation) must be filed with the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) before the child applies for his/her US visa. Please see our Non-Immigrant Visa webpage for more information. 

Third Party Attendance at Passport and CRBA Appointment Interviews

Generally, immediate family members may accompany passport or CRBA applicants to their appointment interviews at a US embassy or consulate, and all minor children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Passport or CRBA applicants also have the option of being accompanied by an attorney at their appointment interview. Attendance by any third party, including an attorney, accompanying an applicant is subject to the following parameters designed to ensure an orderly appointment interview process and to maintain the integrity of the adjudication of the application(s):

  • Given space limitations in the consular section, not more than one attendee at a time will be allowed to accompany an applicant (in addition to the applicant’s parent(s) or guardian if the applicant is a minor).
  • Attendance by an attorney does not excuse the applicant and/or the minor applicant’s parent or guardian from attending the appointment interview in person.
  • The manner in which a passport or CRBA appointment interview is conducted, and the scope and nature of the inquiry, shall at all times be at the discretion of the consular officer, following applicable Departmental guidance.
  • It is expected that attorneys will provide their clients with relevant legal advice prior to, rather than at, the appointment interview, and will advise their clients prior to the appointment interview that the client will participate in the appointment interview with minimal assistance.
  • Attorneys may not engage in any form of legal argumentation during the appointment interview and before the consular officer.
  • Attendees other than a parent or guardian accompanying a minor child may not answer a consular officer’s question on behalf or in lieu of an applicant, nor may they summarize, correct, or attempt to clarify an applicant’s response, or interrupt or interfere with an applicant’s responses to a consular officer’s questions.
  • To the extent that an applicant does not understand a question, s/he should seek clarification from the consular officer directly.
  • The consular officer has sole discretion to determine the appropriate language(s) for communication with the applicant, based on the facility of both officer and applicant and the manner and form that best facilitate communication between the consular officer and the applicant. Attendees may not demand that communications take place in a particular language solely for the benefit of the attendee. Nor may attendees object to or insist on the participation of an interpreter in the appointment interview, to the qualifications of any interpreter, or to the manner or substance of any translation.
  • No attendee may coach or instruct applicants as to how to answer a consular officer’s question.
  • Attendees may not object to a consular officer’s question on any ground (including that the attendee regards the question to be inappropriate, irrelevant, or adversarial), or instruct the applicant not to answer a consular officer’s question. Attendees may not interfere in any manner with the consular officer’s ability to conduct all inquiries and fact-finding necessary to exercise his or her responsibilities to adjudicate the application.
  • During a passport or CRBA appointment interview, attendees may not discuss or inquire about other applications.
  • Attendees may take written notes, but may not otherwise record the appointment interviews.
  • Attendees may not engage in any other conduct that materially disrupts the appointment interview. For example, they may not yell at or otherwise attempt to intimidate or abuse a consular officer or staff, and they may not engage in any conduct that threatens U.S. national security or the security of the embassy or its personnel. Attendees must follow all security policies of the Department of State and the U.S. embassy or consulate where the appointment interview takes place.

Attendees may not engage in any conduct that violates this policy and/or otherwise materially disrupts the appointment interview. Failure to observe these parameters will result in a warning to the attendee and, if ignored, the attendee may be asked to leave the appointment interview and/or the premises, as appropriate. It would then be the applicant’s choice whether to continue the appointment interview without the attendee present, subject to the consular officer’s discretion to terminate the appointment interview.

The safety and privacy of all applicants awaiting consular services, as well as of consular and embassy personnel, is of paramount consideration.