Welcome to U.S. Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi. We provide information and assistance to U.S. Citizens in the western and southern regions of the United Arab Emirates, including Abu Dhabi, al-Ain, and al-Ruwais. If you are a resident or visitor in Dubai and the Northern Emirates, please contact the Consulate General in Dubai.
U.S. Citizen Services at the Embassy in Abu Dhabi offers a full range of services, including passport, citizenship, and notarial services. Note that all fees for services may be paid in U.S. dollars, UAE dirham, or by major credit card.
We also assist U.S. Citizens in an event of an emergency such as death, arrest, illness, injury, missing persons, destitution, and other circumstances.
In the event of an emergency that threatens the health or safety of a U.S. citizen, the Embassy and Consulate General stand ready to assist 24 hours a day. Click here for the Embassy’s Contact information.
What the U.S. Embassy cannot do:
Although we try to help American citizens in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- Help you enter or exit a country if, for example, you lack a visa or your passport is not valid.
- Give you legal advice, investigate a crime, or carry out searches for missing people. However, we can refer you to services that may be helpful in these cases, such as local lawyers.
- Get you preferential treatment in a hospital or prison that is better than that afforded to other nationalities.
- Pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional and specific circumstances we may be able to offer a government loan, which you must pay back).
- Make travel arrangements for you, find you work, or find you accommodations.
- Make business arrangements on your behalf.
- Intervene or offer assistance in commercial transactions or disputes between private citizens or entities.
For general information on traveling and living abroad, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s comprehensive travel website at travel.state.gov For information on living in or visiting the United Arab Emirates, please review the Department of State’s Country Specific Information from the UAE.
ATTENTION: Visitors are prohibited from bringing laptop computers and other larger electronic devices into the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi and the U.S. Consulate in Dubai. Storage at the embassy is unavailable for these items. Applicants who bring such items to their appointments will not be permitted to enter the embassy until they have secured their own storage for the items and returned to the embassy without them. This may cause the applicant to miss their scheduled appointment. A large electronic device is considered any electronic item larger than a mobile phone.