In the wake of recent terrorist attacks and bombings in France, Egypt, and Lebanon, the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi and U.S. Consulate General in Dubai would like to remind U.S. citizens of the continuing need to implement sound personal security practices as they go about their daily lives.
In August 2014, the United States and its partners, including the United Arab Emirates, commenced military action against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), a designated terrorist organization, in Syria and Iraq. In response to the airstrikes, ISIL called on supporters to attack foreigners, particularly in coalition partner countries. We believe there is an increased likelihood of other reprisal attacks against U.S., Western, and coalition partner interests throughout the world, especially in the Middle East, North Africa, Europe, and Asia.
U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local events, and take appropriate steps to bolster their personal security. Events that draw large crowds, such as high-profile sporting events and celebrations, may pose additional risks. Hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, public areas, shopping malls, and other tourist destinations where people gather in large numbers also may be at risk. Report suspicious behavior or activities to local authorities immediately.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Iraq Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi , located at Embassies District, Plot 38, Sector W59-02, Street No. 4, and P.O. Box 4009. The telephone number is (971) (2) 414-2200. For after-hours emergencies in Abu Dhabi, contact the Duty Officer at (971) (2) 414-2200.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Dubai, located at the corner of Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed and Al Seef Streets on the Dubai Creek in Bur Dubai. The telephone number is (971) (4) 309-4000. For after-hours emergencies involving U.S. citizens in Dubai, contact the Duty Officer at (971)(4) 309-4000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.