Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Location: UAE, Abu Dhabi
Event: There have been reports of a possible missile attack and accompanying missile defense activity over Abu Dhabi early this morning. The Embassy reminds all U.S. citizens in the United Arab Emirates to maintain a high level of security awareness. The Houthi militia in Yemen has claimed responsibility for the January 17 attack on Abu Dhabi and stated an intent to attack neighboring countries, including the UAE, using missiles and unmanned aerial systems (drones).
Actions to Take:
- If you hear a loud explosion, immediately seek cover.
- If in a home or a building, go to the lowest level of the structure with the fewest exterior walls, windows, and openings; close any doors and sit near an interior wall, away from any windows or openings.
- If you are outdoors, immediately seek cover in a hardened structure; if that is not possible, lie down and cover your head with your hands.
- Be aware that even if an incoming missile or drone is intercepted, falling debris represents a significant risk.
- After the attack, stay away from any debris, and monitor major news outlets for official guidance.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy website for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi
Embassies District, Plot 38, Sector W59-02, Street No. 4
+971 2 414 2200
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444