Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (January 17, 2022)
Location: UAE, Abu Dhabi
- Musaffah Industrial Area, and
- A construction site at the new terminal of the Abu Dhabi airport.
Event: There have been reports of explosions at the Musaffah Industrial Area in Abu Dhabi and a fire at the new terminal of the Abu Dhabi airport on January 17, 2022. Media reports indicate that both incidents were potentially caused by unmanned aerial systems (drones) in the area. The Embassy reminds all U.S. citizens in the United Arab Emirates to maintain a high level of security awareness. The possibility of terrorist attacks against U.S. citizens and interests in the Gulf and Arabian Peninsula remains an ongoing, serious concern. Rebel groups operating in Yemen have stated an intent to attack neighboring countries, including the UAE, using missiles and unmanned aerial systems (drones).
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the Musaffah Industrial Area and the area around the construction site at the new terminal of Abu Dhabi airport.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy website for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi
Embassies District, Plot 38, Sector W59-02, Street No. 4
+971 2 414 2200
- U.S. Consulate General Dubai
Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed and Al Seef Streets
+971 4 309 4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- United Arab Emirates Country Specific Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter