Location: United Arab Emirates, countrywide
Event: New Year’s celebrations will take place throughout the UAE over the coming weeks. Road closures throughout the emirates will restrict movements, particularly in areas where large crowds are expected. U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when attending large, public holiday events, visiting tourist sites, using public transportation, and frequenting places of worship, restaurants, hotels, and other public locations. Be aware of your immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds, when possible. If you find yourself in a crowded area, think through in advance the quickest way to remove yourself on short notice, if necessary. Police officers will likely be conducting regular identification checks, especially near tourist attractions and large gatherings. You should carry proper identification at all times.
Actions to Take:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Carry proper Identification, including a U.S. passport with a current UAE visa/entry stamp.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi, Embassies District, Plot 38, Sector W59-02, Street No. 4
(971) (2) 414-2200
- U.S. Consulate General in Dubai
Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed and Al Seef Streets
Dubai Creek Bur Dubai
(971) (4) 309-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444