Message to U.S. Citizens – Updated Guidelines and Resources for Travel to the United States
As of December 6, 2021, all air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country are required to show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.
Currently, given high demand, COVID PCR testing in the United Arab Emirates can take 24-48 hours or longer to receive results. Travelers should be aware and take this into consideration when making travel arrangements.
Additionally, airlines and the local United Arab Emirates health authorities may have their own requirements for quarantine, testing, and boarding aircraft in addition to the CDC requirements for entry to the United States. Travelers should check local and airline guidance well in advance to ascertain they have met the necessary requirements.
Please note that while CDC guidelines accept both negative PCR and rapid antigen “viral” test results as well as proof of recovery from COVID-19 within the past 90 days, many airlines, including Emirates Air, only accept negative PCR test results for boarding flights originating in the UAE destined for the United States.
The U.S. Consulate is not able to override local, CDC or airline COVID-19 guidelines.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the CDC website for the latest guidance regarding testing requirements.
- Check with your air carriers or travel representative prior to departure for the United States.
- Review the United Arab Emirates Dubai Health Authority guidance for updated information regarding Dubai-specific COVID-19 requirements.
- Check COVID-19 Country Specific Information pages for updated information on COVID-19 related to the availability of testing.
- Visit state.gov to view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
Click here for our Travel to the U.S. FAQs.
- U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi
Embassies District, Plot 38, Sector W59-02, Street No. 4
+971 2 414 2200
- U.S. Consulate General Dubai
Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed and Al Seef Streets
+971 4 309 4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- UAE Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
You have received this message because you have registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you would like to unsubscribe or change your details in STEP, please go to https://step.state.gov/step/.