4 May 2021
Plan Ahead – Scheduling Delays for Passport Application Appointments – U.S. Mission UAE
Due to the ongoing pandemic and related operational restrictions, the U.S. Mission to the United Arab Emirates (U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi and U.S. Consulate General Dubai) continues to experience significant demand for passport renewal services.
At this time, the earliest available appointments for passport renewal services are in June or later at both U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi and U.S. Consulate General Dubai. Note that it takes 2-4 weeks after submitting a passport application to receive the passport, which is produced in the United States. Please rest assured that we work to accommodate emergency requests for U.S. citizens with truly urgent travel needs (further information provided below).
We urge eligible adult applicants to avoid scheduling delays and take advantage of our passport renewal by mail option through Emirates Post or our drop-box service at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General. We anticipate further demand as we approach the summer months and school breaks.
Eligibility for Passport Renewal by Mail or Drop-Box:
You are eligible to renew your passport by mail if all of the following requirements apply:
- Your passport is not damaged and was issued within the last 15 years;
- You were at least 16 years old when your most recent passport was issued;
- The passport you are renewing was valid for a 10-year period; and
- The passport was issued in your current name. (If you have changed your name since your most recent passport was issued, you must submit legal documentation of your name change)
The drop-box is conveniently located inside the Embassy and the Consulate General. Applicants may drop off their passport applications at the Embassy or Consulate General on Sun-Thurs between 8:00 am- 3:30 pm (except on UAE or US holidays). No appointment is necessary. The application processing time is approximately 3-4 weeks.
I am not eligible to renew my passport by mail or drop-box: If you are not able to renew your passport by mail, your application may require your personal appearance. Please visit our website or more information on scheduling an in-person appointment.
- U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi
Embassies District, Plot 38, Sector W59-02, Street No. 4
+971 2 414 2200
- U.S. Consulate General Dubai
Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed and Al Seef Streets
+971 4 309 4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- UAE Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter