March 30, 2020
Location: Throughout the United Arab Emirates
The U.S. Mission to the UAE is sending a daily update to ensure all U.S. citizens in the UAE have the latest information about COVID-19 and local conditions.
Event: The UAE government on March 28 opened a mobile COVID-19 testing facility at Zayed Sports City in Abu Dhabi. Appointments must be booked in advance by calling the UAE Department of Health at 8001717. The UAE government plans to deploy additional mobile testing facilities throughout the UAE. Visit the UAE Ministry of Health website for additional information on COVID-19 in the UAE.
The Ministry of Health and Prevention on March 28 extended the UAE initiative to disinfect public facilities, including roads, until April 5. From 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily, public transport will be shut down and movement restricted. The UAE government has requested that individuals wishing to move outside their homes during these hours register for movement permits at https://dxbpermit.gov.ae/home or through the Abu Dhabi Police’s website at https://www.adpolice.gov.ae/en/pages/home.aspx. Failure to register movements could result in fines.
The UAE Attorney General announced on March 27 that individuals failing to follow social distancing protocols or motorists with more than three people in their car may receive a 1,000 dirham fine. Organizing or attending social gatherings, meetings, or public celebrations will result in fines of 5,000-10,000 dirhams. The UAE Ministry of Interior clarified on March 29 that anyone displaying common cold or flu-like symptoms and not wearing a medical mask indoors is subject to a 1,000 dirham fine. This is not an exhaustive list of possible fines. Please see UAE official sources for full details.
Public spaces, shopping malls, and most retail stores are closed. Grocery stores, pharmacies, and gas stations remain open. Visit the UAE Ministry of Health COVID-19 website for updated information. Failure to follow all UAE laws, regulations, and procedures to combat the spread of COVID-19 could result in fines and jail terms.
The UAE General Civil Aviation Authority suspended all inbound, outbound, and transit passenger flights for two weeks, subject to extension, effective March 25.
Effective March 29, U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi and U.S. Consulate General Dubai went to minimal staffing. Consular Sections will continue to provide the following emergency services to U.S. citizens: renewing expired passports or passports expiring within 6 months; processing applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad; and processing Consular Reports of Death Abroad. U.S. citizens may request an emergency appointment through email by contacting the Embassy at AbuDhabiACS@state.gov or the Consulate at DubaiACS@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the STEP program at https://step.state.gov/ to receive alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Encourage other U.S. citizens to enroll in the STEP program.
- Confirm the validity of your travel documents, including passports and visas.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date COVID-19 information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the UAE.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. citizens looking for options to return to the United States can call the U.S. Department of State Repatriation Task Force at 1-888-407-4747 from the U.S. and Canada or +1-202-501-4444 from overseas.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security and health updates.
- U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi
Embassies District, Plot 38, Sector W59-02, Street No. 4
+971 2 414 2200
- U.S. Consulate General Dubai
Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed and Al Seef Streets
+971 4 309 4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- UAE Country Information
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter