Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi and U.S. Consulate General Dubai (May 19, 2020)
Health Alerts are released on Mondays. Any urgent updates may be released in addition to regularly scheduled Health Alerts.
New sterilization hours for UAE announced: There are media reports that beginning May 20, the nation-wide sterilization hours will be from 8 pm to 6 am until further notice. During non-sterilization hours residents may visit grocery stores, pharmacies, and shopping centers. Residents must wear masks and adhere to social distancing rules or face fines.
UAE announces new procedure for residents abroad to return: There are media reports that beginning June 1, UAE residents who are abroad and wish to return to the UAE will be permitted to return if they have a valid visa and family in the country. Returning residents may request a permit to return at the Federal Authority for Identity and Citizenship website.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in STEP at step.state.gov to receive alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Confirm the validity of your travel documents, including passports and visas.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date COVID-19 information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the UAE.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Check with your airlines regarding information about your travel plans or restrictions.
Assistance: U.S. citizens in need of emergency assistance can email American Citizen Services at AbuDhabiACS@state.gov (for Abu Dhabi) or DubaiACS@state.gov (for Dubai and other emirates).
U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi
Embassies District, Plot 38, Sector W59-02, Street No. 4
+971 2 414 2200
U.S. Consulate General Dubai
Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed and Al Seef Streets
+971 4 309 4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444