April 1, 2020
Location: Throughout the United Arab Emirates
The U.S. Mission to the UAE is sending a daily update to ensure all U.S. citizens in the UAE have the latest information about COVID-19 and local conditions.
Event: The Ministry of Health and Prevention on March 28 extended the UAE initiative to disinfect public facilities, including roads, until April 5. From 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily, public transport will be shut down and movement restricted. Failure to adhere to movement restrictions could result in fines. Fines may also be assessed for failing to follow social distancing protocols, for driving with more than three people in a car, and for organizing or attending social gatherings, meetings, or public celebrations.
Effective March 29, U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi and U.S. Consulate General Dubai went to minimal staffing. Consular Sections will continue to provide the following emergency services to U.S. citizens: renewing expired passports or passports expiring within 6 months; processing applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad; and processing Consular Reports of Death Abroad. U.S. citizens may request an emergency appointment through email by contacting the Embassy at AbuDhabiACS@state.gov orthe Consulate at DubaiACS@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Enroll in the STEP program at https://step.state.gov/ to receive alerts and ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Encourage other U.S. citizens to enroll in the STEP program.
- Confirm the validity of your travel documents, including passports and visas.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date COVID-19 information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the UAE.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. citizens looking for options to return to the United States can call the U.S. Department of State Repatriation Task Force at 1-888-407-4747 from the U.S. and Canada or +1-202-501-4444 from overseas.
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security and health updates.
- U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi
Embassies District, Plot 38, Sector W59-02, Street No. 4
+971 2 414 2200
- U.S. Consulate General Dubai
Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed and Al Seef Streets
+971 4 309 4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- UAE Country Information
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter