Green Cards

Lost / Stolen / Abandoned Green Cards

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services handles all Legal Permanent Residence matters and issues all Green Cards.

The U.S. Consulate is not able to replace a lost or stolen Green Card. You should go to for information on replacing a lost or stolen Green Card. If your Green Card was lost or stolen and you need to return to the U.S., the Consulate may be able to issue a Boarding Foil to you so that you may travel. Please see below more information on this process.

Information on maintaining your Legal Permanent Residence status in the U.S. is found at: If you would like to abandon your Legal Permanent Residence status, please see information below on this process.

Lost/Stolen Green Card

A lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States is required to present a valid Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card, if seeking readmission to the U.S. after a temporary absence of less than one year. A Transportation Boarding Foil facilitates boarding by the airline to transport you back to the U.S.

How to apply for a transportation boarding foil

You must make an appointment to visit the U.S. Consulate in Dubai and apply in person. In order to be processed for a Transportation Boarding Foil by the U.S. Consulate in Dubai, you will need to complete the following steps prior to your appointment date.

1. Go to: – Download and complete the Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation) – Form I-131A. You will need to know your Alien Registration Number in order to complete the form; You may be able to obtain your Alien Registration Number from the nearest USCIS office if you do not have it.

2. Go to: to create an online USCIS account to pay the fee of $360.00 USD for the I-131A application. (Note: This is the only acceptable means of payment for the I-131A application). The Embassy cannot collect this fee on behalf of USCIS. Be sure to read the instructions before you pay as this fee is not refundable regardless of the decision on the application.

3. If you plan to file a Form I-131A to apply for a LPR boarding foil, please note that you must pay the filing fee online on the USCIS website before appearing in person at a consular section. Information on the new form and fee is located here. You must bring evidence of payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page, when you appear in person to file Form I-131A. As with all immigration fees, USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application. USCIS will also not provide applicants an I-131A fee payment refund if the individual should have applied for an SB-1 instead of a boarding foil.

4. Schedule an appointment – To request an appointment, following the instructions to register and make an Immigrant Visa (IV) appointment. Select the link for US Lawful Permanent Residents. You will have the option to select Consulate Dubai or Embassy Abu Dhabi for your interview.  We will email you an appointment confirmation. Note: Boarding Foils can only be processed during normal business hours on an appointment basis at U.S. Consulate General Dubai. We cannot process Boarding Foil requests on weekends, holidays, after hours, or without an appointment.

5. Bring the following documents

  • A completed Form I-131A Page 1 – 3 (and page 4-5 if applicable)
  • Copy of payment receipt for the I-131A online, i.e. a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page
  • Unexpired passport
  • Your airplane tickets (the one ticket showing your departure date from the U.S. and your planned upcoming travel)
  • Evidence of your U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident status (e.g. passport showing the admission stamp to the United States as a Lawful Permanent Resident, copy of your green card if available)
  • Evidence that you were in the United States within the last 12 months
  • Police report from when the card was loss or stolen. Detailed explanation is required as to when and to whom you reported loss or theft of the card, if police report is not available
  • One passport-style color photograph with white background taken within 30 days. Note: applicants are not permitted to wear eyeglasses in the photos.

Processing time will depend on the circumstances of your case and the amount of information and evidence you provide. The normal processing time can be as little as a few working days. Also, at least two visits to the consulate are required. (i.e. One for the interview, the other one for picking up your passport when approved.)

It is recommended that you make an appointment with our office at least 2 weeks before you intend to travel back to the U.S. Please note that we can only process applications for U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents who have been outside the United States for less than one year and who are intending to return to the U.S. within 30 days.

The U.S. Embassy does not accept or process Form I-407 Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status. If you have a U.S. green card that you wish to surrender please do so in person or by mail at the nearest United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) International Field Office.

If you live in a location with a USCIS International Field Office, please submit Form I-407 in person.

If you do not live in a location with a USCIS International Field Office, please mail Form I-407 and your green card (original) to the nearest USCIS International Field Office.  If you live in United Arab Emirates, the nearest USCIS International Field Office is in Athens, Greece. Please mail your completed Form I-407 and your green card (original) to the following address:

Field Office Director

Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

American Embassy

Vasilissis Sofias 91

101 60 Athens, Greece

USCIS recommends that you provide your email address in any correspondence you send so that USCIS may reply quickly. Please visit the following website to find locations of other USCIS International Field Offices:

Abandoning your LPR Status and Applying for a Non-Immigrant Visa

If you wish to travel to the U.S. as a non-immigrant, you will be asked to surrender your Green Card before applying. You may submit form I-407 at the same time you apply for a non-immigrant visa (such as a tourist or business visa). Please visit the NIV section of our website to make an online appointment and fill out the necessary application. You must submit all the above at the time of your non-immigrant visa interview.

Traveling to the U.S. after Abandoning your LPR Status

Whether traveling on a Non-Immigrant Visa or as part of the Visa Waiver Program, you should carry a copy of the approved form I-407 with you as you travel to the U.S. to minimize the risk of complications with the immigration authorities concerning your immigrant versus non-immigrant status.