U.S. Embassy Abu Dhabi actively encourages English language learning through a variety of programs and resources. The embassy also works directly with local institutions like AMIDEAST to promote English language learning in the UAE.
A variety of programs are available to English language learners and teachers in the UAE.
The E-Teacher Scholarship Program offers intensive online, graduate level classes to Emirati English teaching professionals through the University of Oregon. Participants receive certificates from the universities upon successful completion of the course.
The Study of the U.S. Institutes’ program for international secondary school educators provides participants with opportunities to broaden the cultural and historical base of the courses they teach by enriching their knowledge of U.S. society, culture, values, and institutions, past and present. The program offers a broad overview of the United States in the context of American studies through an integrated series of lectures, reading, interactive discussions, site visits, independent study opportunities, and faculty-assisted curriculum research over a period of six weeks in the United States. The Institute for Training and Development administers the program.
Other programs include:
- the English Access Microscholarship Program
- the English Language Fellow Program
- the English Language Specialist/Speaker Program
- the English Language Fellow Foreign Educator Program
- the Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program (FLTA)
In addition, the embassy connects English language learners and their teachers directly with a wide range of resources. The Department of State’s Office of English Language Programs offers American English an online portal for teaching and learning English as a Foreign Language abread. The website is a one-stop-shop for great English-learning resources including:
- English Teaching FORUM, a quarterly, peer-reviewed journal for classroom teachers
- Shaping the Way We Teach English, a 14-part teacher-training video on training methodologies
- Trace Effects, an educational video game
- American English Mobile App, an on-the-go digital resource
Over 80 other titles of English language materials for teachers and learners are available in multiple formats: print, video, audio, and online.
The following professional organizations make resources available, too. Disclaimer: Links or references to web sites outside the U.S. Federal Government or the use of trade, firm, or corporation names within the U.S. State Department web sites are for the convenience of the user. Such use does not constitute an official endorsement or approval by the U.S. State Department of any private sector web sites, product, or service. The United States Government can provide no guarantees and accepts no responsibility thereof for any action taken on the visitor’s part based on the information provided.
- AAAL: American Association of Applied Linguistics
- AACE: Association for Advancement of Computing in Education
- AAIEP: American Association of Intensive English Programs
- AECT: Association for Educational Communications & Technology
- AERA: American Educational Research Association
- ASCD: Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development
- CEA: Commission for English Language Program Accreditation
- Global Study Directory of English Language Schools in the USA
- LDA: Learning Disabilities Association
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- UCIEP: University and College Intensive English Programs Consortium
Finally, the United States is a great destination for international students seeking to learn English or improve their English skills. There are over 400 educational institutions that offer English language programs, spread across the many geographic and cultural regions of the United States. The following websites can help narrow your search:
- American Association of Intensive English Programs
- Commission on English Language Program Accreditation
- Consortium of University & College Intensive English Programs in the USA
- Intensive English USA -Institute of International Education
- Petersons – English Language Programs
EducationUSA’s great guidebook “If You Want to Study in the USA: Short Term, ESL Distance Education, and Accreditation” helps to explain the selection and application process to English as a Second Language programs, and is available as a PDF for free download.