Repatriation of Remains:
Report the death of an American citizen as soon as possible. If the death occurred in Abu Dhabi or Al Ain, notify the U.S. Embassy American Citizen Services (ACS) unit by email (AbuDhabiACS@state.gov) or phone (+ 971 2 414 2200). If the death occurred in Dubai or in the northern Emirates, notify the U.S. Consulate General by email (DubaiACS@state.gov) or phone (+971 4 309 4000). If a U.S. citizen dies while unaccompanied in the UAE, either ACS unit can help verify the citizenship and identity of the deceased and notify the next of kin.
In all cases of death of an American citizen in the UAE, the Embassy and Consulate General can assist with arrangements for the disposition of the remains. The U.S. government is unable to pay for the return of remains or other costs associated with funeral arrangements. All costs are the responsibility of the family.
Upon completion of all formalities, including the issuance of a death certificate by UAE authorities, the ACS unit will prepare a Report of Death of an American Citizen. This document is an administrative report that provides essential facts concerning the death of the U.S. citizen and custody of the personal estate of the deceased. Copies are provided to the next of kin or legal representative for use in the United States to settle estate matters.
CDC requirements for importing human remains depend upon if the body has been embalmed, cremated, or if the person died from a quarantinable communicable disease .
At this time, COVID-19 is a quarantinable communicable disease in the United States and the remains must meet the standards for importation found in 42 Code of Federal Regulations Part 71.55 and may be cleared, released, and authorized for entry into the United States only under the following conditions:
- The remains are cremated; OR
- The remains are properly embalmed and placed in a leak-proof casket; OR
- The remains are accompanied by a permit issued by the CDC Director. The CDC permit (if applicable) must accompany the human remains throughout shipment.
- Permits for the importation of the remains of a person known or suspected to have died from a quarantinable communicable disease may be obtained through the CDC Division of Global Migration and Quarantine by calling the CDC Emergency Operations Center at 001 770-488-7100 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please see CDC’s guidance for additional information.
In addition to immediately notifying the U.S. Embassy & Consulate in the UAE, you may contact the two service providers below for funeral or repatriation services, listed alphabetically:
- GRAFCO, Gulf Global Repatriations and Funeral Services Middle East
00971 50 920 1893
- Middle East Funeral Services
00971 4 273 03 13
For Dubai and the northern Emirates, click here for more information
For Abu Dhabi and Al Ain, click here for more information.