The drop-box is conveniently located inside the Embassy in Abu Dhabi and the Consulate General in Dubai. Applicants may drop off their passport applications at the Embassy Monday through Thursday between 8:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. and Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. or at the Consulate General on Monday through Thursday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. and Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. (except on UAE or US holidays). No appointment is necessary. The application processing time is approximately three (3) to four (4) weeks.
Eligibility for Passport Renewal by Embassy or Consulate General Drop-Box
You may renew your passport by utilizing the drop-box service if all of the following requirements apply:
Your passport is not damaged and was issued within the last 15 years;
You were at least 16 years old when your most recent passport was issued;
The passport you are renewing was valid for a 10-year period; and
The passport was issued in your current name. (If you have changed your name since your most recent passport was issued, you must submit legal documentation of your name change)
If you are not eligible, your application may require your personal appearance. Information on scheduling an appointment can be found here .
Step-by-Step Guide – Adult Passport Renewal by Drop-Box
- Confirm that you meet all the eligibility criteria listed above.
- Complete form DS-82 – available online here .
- If you have been issued a social security number (SSN) you MUST provide it on your application for a U.S. passport. If the name on your social security record does not match the name on your passport application, please complete question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used.’
- If you have not been issued a SSN, you must complete and sign this form (PDF 7 KB) and include it in your application.
- If you are a resident of the UAE and have been issued a SSN, but have misplaced it or do not recall if you have been issued one, contact the Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Rome for assistance.
- Disregard the pre-printed instructions on the online forms – the application can be submitted to the Embassy or Consulate for processing.
- Attach one passport photograph to the application. The photograph must be 2 x 2 inches, taken in the last six months, and conform with the requirements outlined here .
- Print and sign the application form.
- Submit your most recent original passport with the application.
- Also, attach one photocopy of the biographic page of your most recent U.S. passport and place the form inside your most recent original U.S. passport.
- Pay the passport fee on-line pay.gov or obtain a non-refundable application fee via Bank Manager’s check or “Cashier’s Check” in AED currency.
- Pay.gov: Pay the $130 passport application fee via the U.S. government’s secure pay.gov site . After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you drop off at the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi or U.S. Consulate in Dubai.
- Bank Manager’s check or “Cashier’s Check” : Obtain a $130 USD (481 AED) non-refundable application fee via Bank Manager’s check or “Cashier’s Check” in AED currency. *If requesting both a passport card and book, please include payment for $160 USD (592 AED).
- You must have a local UAE bank account in order to obtain a Bank Manager’s check or Cashier’s Check.
- Make checks payable to: “United States Disbursing Officer”
- We cannot accept cash, credit cards, or personal checks. We must receive a Bank Manager’s check or Cashier’s check in AED.
- Do not write anything on the face of the bank check (e.g.: name of the applicant)
- Please do not include fees other than those stated on this page. There is no expedited service when processing applications outside the United States.
- (If applicable) If you have changed your name since your initial application, include evidence of Change of Name to your application, including, but not limited to: Marriage Certificate, Change of Name Deed, Statutory Declaration or a Court Order (name change must have taken place after your passport was issued)
- Print and complete this checklist (PDF 173 KB) to confirm your application package is complete. Include the checklist in your application.
- Place the required items in an unsealed envelope.
Instructions for dropping off adult passport renewals
After completing the above steps, you may drop off your passport at the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi on Monday through Thursday between 8:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. and Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. or at the U.S. Consulate General in Dubai on Monday through Thursday between 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. and Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. (except on UAE or US holidays). Applicants will receive an email when the passport is ready for collection at the Embassy or Consulate.
Security will screen the unsealed envelope and return it to you to seal and drop-off into the drop-box.
The Embassy and Consulate General continue to offer Passport Renewal by Emirates Post’s Courier Collection Services. Please click here for more information.