Mission UAE accepts passport renewal applications for adults for forms DS-82 and DS-5504 via mail without the need for an in-person appointment. The drop-box is conveniently located inside the Embassy in Abu Dhabi and the Consulate General in Dubai. Applicants may drop off their passport applications at the Embassy Monday through Thursday between 8:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. and Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. or at the Consulate General on Monday through Thursday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. and Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. (except on UAE or US holidays). No appointment is necessary. The application processing time is approximately three (3) to four (4) weeks.
Qualifying adult passport renewal applicants may pay the $130 passport renewal fee online via U.S. or international credit or debit card, electronic funds transfer from a U.S.-based bank account, Amazon Pay, or Pay Pal. See our FAQ page for more information.
Please note that the online fee option is limited to U.S. citizens residing in UAE. U.S. citizens who reside outside of the UAE are not eligible for the online fee payment option at this time. Online fee payment is currently available for passport book renewals only. If you wish to renew or apply for a passport card, you must make an appointment to apply in person at the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi or the U.S. Consulate in Dubai.
Eligibility for Passport Renewal by Embassy or Consulate General Drop-Box
In order to use the renewal by drop-box process, you must answer YES to all of the following:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application;
- I am able to leave my passport with the Embassy or Consulate for the duration of the 3-4 weeks processing time;
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport book was issued;
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book less than 15 years ago;
- My most recent U.S. passport book has a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration;
- The U.S. passport book that I am renewing has not been mutilated, damaged, lost or stolen;
- My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting an original marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application;) and
- I currently reside in and have a valid mailing address in the UAE.
If you do not meet these criteria, please see “Are You a U.S. Citizen Who Needs a Passport?” for instructions on making an appointment to submit a passport application in person at the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi or the U.S. Consulate in Dubai.
Instructions for DS-82 and DS-5504 renewal by drop-box for U.S. Citizens residing in the UAE:
Step 1: SIGN and complete the DS-82 Passport Renewal Form or the DS-5504 Passport Renewal Form. Please fill out the form online and submit the printed copy with the barcode. You are eligible for a DS-82 if you are replacing a full validity (10 year) U.S. passport. You are eligible for a DS-5504 if your current passport is unexpired, was issued less than one year ago, and you are:
- Replacing a limited validity 1 year U.S. passport for a full validity (10 year) passport; or
- Changing your name and you have the documentation to support your name change (see step 5); or
- Correcting a printing error in a valid U.S. passport
*NOTE: You must provide your Social Security number if you have one. If you are a resident of the UAE and have misplaced your social security number, contact the Federal Benefits Unit in Rome for assistance. If you have not been issued a Social Security number, please complete and sign this form and include it with your passport application.
Step 2: Obtain one WHITE background color passport photo 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) taken within the past 6 months; no eyeglasses. See more information on photo requirements .
Step 3: Include one photocopy (color or black and white) of the data page of your previous U.S. passport.
Step 4: Include the passport you are renewing in the package you mail to the Embassy.
Step 5: Name change documents (if applicable) (original + 1 photocopy)
If you would like to change the name on your new passport due to marriage, divorce, or court order, please include proof of your name change. Documents must be original with English translation if applicable (ex. Marriage certificate, Divorce Decree, Court Order).
Step 6: If you meet the criteria for the DS-5504 forms, the application is free of charge, and you may continue to Step 7. For form DS-82, pay the $130 passport application fee online:
- Pay.gov: Pay online at the U.S. government’s secure pay.gov site . After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you send to the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi or U.S. Consulate in Dubai. * You cannot request a passport card if you are using pay.gov.
Step 7: Place the application, fee payment and required items in an unsealed envelope and bring them to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
Instructions for dropping off adult passport renewals
After completing the above steps, you may drop off your passport at the U.S. Embassy in Abu Dhabi on Monday through Thursday between 8:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. and Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. or at the U.S. Consulate General in Dubai on Monday through Thursday between 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. and Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. (except on UAE or US holidays). Applicants will receive an email when the passport is ready for collection at the Embassy or Consulate.
Security will screen the unsealed envelope and return it to you to seal and drop-off into the drop-box.
The Embassy and Consulate General continue to offer passport renewal by mail, and by appointment. Please click here for more information.